Your dermatologist has performed a physical examination and thorough medical history to determine that you are dealing with a condition such as psoriasis. Now what?
Psoriasis is a skin condition that impacts millions of Americans, and due to its development and severity, it may make patients in the Short Hills, NJ community self-conscious about their appearance. With a proper diagnosis with our team at Dermatology Consultants of Short Hills, patients can work with their provider to determine the best course of treatment. Our dermatologist will also educate patients on lifestyle changes that can be made to reduce problems associated with psoriasis.
What treatment options are available?
There are a few different methodologies available to patients who are interested in treating their psoriasis. There is no “one size fits all” as there are several types and severities of this particular condition. With a proper diagnosis, treatment options can be narrowed and used alongside lifestyle changes. Common treatments include:
- Topical prescription corticosteroids
- Vitamin D prescription creams or solutions
- Anthralin to slow skin cell growth
- Topical retinoids
- Calcineurin inhibitors for short-term results
- Salicylic acid treatments
- Light and laser therapies such as narrow band UVB (phototherapy)
- Psoralen plus ultraviolet A (PUVA)
- Oral medications (retinoids, cyclosporine, or methotrexate)
- Biologics which alter the immune system response
What lifestyle changes can be made to reduce the severity of psoriasis?
Lifestyle and home remedies for psoriasis may include:
- Taking daily baths to remove scales
- Use of moisturizers after bathing/showering
- Avoid alcohol consumption
- Avoid psoriasis triggers
- Expose the skin to some natural sunlight each day
- Find a support group for emotional coping methods
- Use cover-ups when needed to conceal appearance
- Educate yourself about the condition
- Learn to prevent flareups
Speak with a provider today to learn more about this condition and treatment options available for management
Our practice is committed to ensuring patients of the Short Hills, NJ area have access to solutions for the skin and body, especially if they have been diagnosed with psoriasis. Our facility offers state-of-the-art solutions to help patients regain their self-confidence once again. Call Dermatology Consultants of Short Hills at (973) 232-6245 to request a consultation appointment and initial evaluation with our team.